Wednesday, March 16, 2005

credit fraud

usually i get 4-5 solicitations from credit card companies in the mail and usually they are immediately tossed into the recycling after i've torn them into several pieces.

but this morning i decided to actually read the letter. it turns out that someone had applied for the credit card in my name and they would continue the enrollment process unless i called them. first i thought it might be a marketing trick for the company (i.e. we'll give you a credit card unless you turn us down) or some type of scam to get my personal info.

so i decided to call to see what was going on. . i told them what happened and they asked for my name, birthdate, and last 4 digits of my social security number. . .part of me hesitated as i did not want to give any personal info. but it turns out that the applicant listed another birthdate. when the rep advised me to call the credit fraud bureau and told me what to do to place a fraud alert i decided she was legit. ( i followed up by calling the phone number on chase's website and it was legit) anyway, the numbers she gave me for the fraud bureau were right so i placed a fraud alert on my name.

i am not sure how my personal info got out, it's kinda scary . . . in any case, i highly recommend requesting a credit report once a year (it is free for one annual report) and being cautious about your personal info.

anyway, there are three credit bureau fraud departments, and i know if you call equifax they will notify the other two: 1. transunion- 800-680-7289 2. equifax- 800-525-6285 3. experian- 888-397-3742 for more info, check out this website: http://www.fightidentitytheft.com/flag.html

No comments: