Saturday, July 14, 2007

International flight cont'd

So 8 hours is a really really long time to layover. It is boring. No way around it. I slept a lot. Or as much as possible in uncomfortable chairs. I people watched. Read some magazines. Listened to music. Moved to a different area.

By 5 PM I was starving and decided to eat my last energy bar. With my throat being so sore and it being so painful to swallow, the idea of eating wasn't so appealing anyways. But it still blew my mind that the terminal didn't have any cafe's or restaurants!! Around 8PM, I headed to gate 4 where my flight would be boarding. I actually found a comfortable chair where I could prop my feet up and slept a bit more. Flight attendants came around and checked my boarding pass.

Finally, it was 9:40PM and still no signs of boarding. Then an announcement was made. People seemed annoyed and the man next to me threw his bag back on the ground. Hmm, either the flight is cancelled, which would really suck, or delayed, which also sucks. Really, I think I had reached my limit for waiting around.

I went and talked to the flight attendant, found out there was a temporary delay. I ended up making conversation with a nice couple from the Bay Area and we decided to leave the terminal to get something to drink. They led me through this passageway, which lo and behold had a cafe!!! EUREKA!!!

I

I ordered a jamon and queso arepa and food has not tasted sooo good. Unfortunately, I was only a 1/3 in before we were called back to our flight. I boarded and, yes, promptly fell asleep. Woke up to a meal of extremely salty fried rice which I tasted and yes, fell back asleep. Hmm, am starting to sound like a narcoleptic. . . Around 2, my flight landed and I managed to get my baggage and through customs fairly quickly. Saw Eddie almost instantaneously upon walking out of the gates- nothing like seeing an old friend again.

No comments: