Thursday, January 31, 2008

it's my party

for a girl that grew up being the "sensitive one" (read: crybaby), i doubt i would be described as emotional as an adult. my friend xiaofun claimed i sounded emotion-less on the phone, lori called me cold when we were saying our goodbyes before she left my company for good, sappy movies do zilch, and i generally have a fairly stoic view on life tragedies. and yet tonight, i was nearly moved to tears.

this evening was my GM's going away party- a dinner at an italian restaurant in huntington village. my GM is an amazing woman who has dedicated 8 years of her blood, sweat, tears, and soul to the company. her enthusiasm, her empathy, and her sense of fun have touched each and every one of us and has made my company a better place to work. so it was without surprise and with great love that all the managers rallied together to have a farewell dinner and get a nice gift for AL.

after work let out, a few of us met up to share a couple drinks, unwind, and catch up. one by one, the majority of the team came out and by 7:30/8PM we had all arrived and were seated. apps were brought out and served family style. we all digged into the calamari, salad, antipasta, clams, and bread. diva ordered entrees for the group. everyone was happily eating, cameras were snapping away, and the chatter was steady.

after the apps were cleared away, the store manager stood up and announced that gifts were to be presented.

SM: (lifting up a huge, beautifully wrapped box) this is something from all of us, we wish you the best of luck, and want you to know V, that you have truly left your mark here.

in stunned silence, i looked around at the table and realized that i was attending my own (co) going away party. .. and that all these people cared enough to give me their blessings but were sad to see me go. i was completely moved and realized, once again, how i would miss this second little family, the good friends that i've shared so much with and grown to love.

and i realized, that while i did not cry- part of me is truly sad to see the closing of this chapter in my life- to lose this sense of comraderie and support in a work environment. i know it is a rare and valuable thing. so while i will look forward to this new stage in my life, one full of new challenges and relationships,i hope and vow never to forget my beginnings and the people in HNT.

No comments: