Saturday, April 05, 2008

boy movie and chinese lessons

my first official week at work has flown by. however, early mornings (since i'm still not sure how long it takes me to do everything and wanting to make a good impression-i'd been making a point to go to work between 8:20 and 8:40), seemingly long hours (because it's taking me forever to do everything since i still don't know what i'm doing), and busy evenings catching up with old friends, had managed to wear me out by the end of the week.

friday morning, as i schlepped out to the bus stop in my black and white skull rainboots while doing my best to stay dry, my evening plans to go out suddenly seemed less appealing. . . my mood turned after a leisurely lunch with my work friends and walking back to the office and seeing the sky clear up. around 6, i grabbed my bag and headed down to the angelika. the film was paranoid park, a coming-of-age film focusing on a teenage boy who witnesses a tragic death. the details of the event are slowly unveiled as the boy journals about the death. paranoid park is a skating park that the boy frequents- not really to skate- but because there his problems feel trivial compared to the imagined problems the other skateboarders face. the slow pace of the movie and my overall lethargy, required a conscientious effort to stay focused. britcabbie must have noticed because he apologized for suggesting a "boy movie". altogether, i did enjoy the movie and found it impactful and thought provoking.



afterwards, we met up with some of britcabbie's work friends at the guggenheim's first friday. while i would have happily gone without the $25 cover (outrageous) and clubby music, i was ecstatic to finally see the cai guo qiang exhibit. the works were mostly large scale installments. i enjoyed the one with a pack of wolves the most. . . i don't know if his work is particularly unique but i find the lessons he so earnestly tries to impart- e.g. following the pack can lead to your downfall- endearing and sincere.


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

LANYTransplant said...

Wow! That's one cool looking bit of artwork!

Anonymous said...

BritCabbie?