Monday, March 20, 2006

mixing things up

It’s been a lot of fun kicking back with the girls, eating out, and bar hopping. . . but have it’s been getting a little stale lately. One of the beautiful things about living in NYC is the plethora of cultural and artistic venues. So after a long day of work on Friday, Debs and I headed out to the International Center of Photography to check out an exhibit of African photographers. I had read about the exhibit and heard about it on NPR and was pretty excited to see it.

The backgrounds of the artists varied as much as the style and subject of the photographs. Some of the more striking, and perhaps my favorite pieces, were done by Andrew Dosunmu and Boubacar Toure Mandemory. But the shots of people’s homes and depictions of daily lives were captivating and reminded me of how ignorant I am of other country’s cultures and history.

After the museum closed, Debs and I met up with Q2 for dinner at Epistrophy- a small wine bar in the LES with simple but delicious foods and an interesting, primarily Italian wine selection. The place was very low-key and I felt like I could have been eating at a friend’s house. Quite nice. A new friend of Debs, Red, showed up at the restaurant. Cool guy, originally from Long Beach. Tired from work, Q2 made a hasty getaway after dinner ended. Of course, we ended back up at bobs and stopped at 46 grand for a bit. . but I was not really feeling it and made my own way home.

Saturday woke up on the late side and got up for a run. . .my knees have been bothering me this weekend, so I’ve only been running 4-5 miles. Must be the cold or perhaps I overdid it with my long run during the middle of the week. Met up with K-flo to look at some apartment stuff. Got a very nice knife set which I’m happy about and a bin to sort our recycling.

In the evening we went to go see a group called Billionares for Bush- a group that does satirical, musical acts and sketches.

http://billionairesforbush.com/index.php

Overall a good show, entertaining, and we both had some laughs. Afterwards, we met up with K-flo’s friend at my favorite local Mexican restaurant, Bean. Then we made our way to Black Betty. Hung out for a few and George and another friend of K-flo’s eventually joined us. Made friends with the DJ and chatted with Rico for a bit. A little before 2AM, I decided to call it a night. Posted by Picasa

No comments: