Thursday, November 02, 2006

an asian girl walks into an oyster bar. . .

last night VK treated me to dinner at the oyster bar at grand central terminal (VK rocks!). i took the train into the city and realized how much i miss the subway and the hustle and bustle of manhattan. . . more motivation for me to work hard and towards a transfer into the city. in any case, i arrived at the oyster bar early.

V (speaking to the maitre d'): i have reservations for two at 7pm

maitre d': last name?

V: K

matire d': would you like to be seated or have a drink at the bar?

i glance over to the bar. i have not gotten over my dislike for sitting by myself at restaurants.

V: i'll have a drink at the bar

matire d': great. it's our anniversary and also the bartender's birthday. you can spoil your dinner with some cake!

V: what's the bartender's name?

maitre d': marcello

V: great, thanks!

i walk over to the bar and wait while the bartender, an older gentleman, busily makes drinks, insists everyone try cake. he looks happy. finally, the bartender looks in my direction.

Marcello: how can i help you, young lady?

V: Marcello? (he nods) I just wanted to wish you a happy birthday!

Marcello smiles warmly and extends his hand forward. Assuming he wants my credit card, I put it in his hand.

Marcello: Thank you! I just wanted to say thank you. What would like to drink?

V: dirty martini with Belvedere please.

Marcello: We have Grey Goose, is that okay?

V: sure, that's fine.

I end up making conversation with a couple from Long Island. They lived in the Hamptons for 10 years, now she commutes into the city for work and he, an aspiring musician, wants to move to Manhattan. After chatting for 15 minutes and exchanging names, I notice VK waiting outside the restaurant doors. I step forward and she notices me. I go back to the bar and try to settle my tab.

Marcello: It's on me. I'll see you again?

V: Definately.

Great start to a wonderful evening with my girl. The food was excellent- we enjoyed wine, oysters, MD crabcakes, and boullibase. The waiter was knowledgeable and efficient. . .but the draw will be the friendly company at the bar, the good drinks, and Marcello.

No comments: