Wednesday, November 08, 2006

cheers to trinidad

monday afternoon i decided i had to get my hair re-highlighted, the roots had grown in and it was starting to drive me crazy. i try to go only 3-4 times a year, it's not easy on the pocketbook. . . although my salon is reasonably priced for manhattan.

in any case, i was able to schdule an appointment for tuesday afternoon at 3pm. getting my hair done is an event. usually, it takes beau a good 3 hours (minimum, once i spent 4 hours having my hair colored) to work his magic.

i walked in armed with two photos of hair colors that i liked. sat down in my chair and while beau started playing with my hair, i announced, "i want to go back to blonde!" we discussed hair color and cut for a bit, then he started working.

one of the newbies offered me coffee. about 30 minutes into the coloring job, i heard petra, the salon owner talkin to the receptionist.

P: Mix me some grape juice and white wine

R: That's so ghetto

P: It's GOOD! V do you want some?

V: thinkin for a second. . sure, why not?

P: Great!

an hour and a half later, petra's sister and nephew come to visit. he's an adorable little boy. they all fawn over him. i'm tryin not to move while i'm sitting with my hair resting in the sink, hair slathered with toner.

petra walks around with a short glass. rum (from trinidad) and coke.

P: V want to try some? it's unbelievable!

B: it's really great. . . the distillation process is so good that even low grade alcohol is good. i never feel sick after drinking it.

V: sure, i'll try it. take a sip . . it's really smooth!

by then, beau had finished cutting my hair. . it was time to blowdry and i walked out with my hair looking great and a little buzzed. . . i love my salon!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you did not *seriously* go blonde right? when the kids today say "blonde" it means something different than what it sounds like, right? something? cuz otherwise, this i *GOTTA* see.

~AH

v said...

highlights. . not platinum blonde. think jessica alba and not christina aguilera.

Anonymous said...

I went to Trinidad once -- my wallet was stolen, my boyfriend caught gonorrhea from a prostitute and passed it on to me, and I was stung by a jellyfish and lost two toes. So, I can't drink to that. Your salon sounds great though! Blondes totally do have more fun (except in Trinidad)!