Sunday, November 12, 2006

bowl no-mor

as many of you know, i do not have the best hand-eye coordination. . . a fact i attribute, perhaps unfairly, to a childhood in which i was discouraged from playing sports (e.g. scarred knees and legs are not attractive and you should be studying). despite that, there are things that i love to do but that i'm not very adept at. namely, iceskating/roller blading, bowling, tennis, billiards, and etc.

so last night's outing with the boy, his co-worker & his date, + date's friends at bowl-mor near union square was at once fun and nerve wracking. in the beginning, i was relaxed and all about enjoying myself after everyone assured me that they weren't very good. . . plus how bad could it be, we're just a bunch of adults throwing a bowl down lanes and trying to knock some pins down.

in the first round of the first set, i did ok. i got 7 pins and some people got none. then the second round came and everyone started playing better, having warmed up. . .except for me. initially, everyone was super supportive, cheering anyways and giving pointers. . . but at some point, it just became embarassing.

to make matters worse, the boy has great form and was picking up spares left and right. and his form of encouragement?

come on honey, you can do it.

alright, you need to pick it up a little.

if you get a spare, you won't be last.

argggg.

of course i came in dead last. but we all decided to play a second round -me somewhat grudgingly. . bowling isn't fun!

my turn. i found a ball that had larger holes and released more easily than the ones i used in the first set. i slowed down and consciously made sure that my wrist didn't twist as i released the ball. bingo!!! i got down most of the pins and picked up the spare!!!

my game turned around and i managed to bring my score to the middle of the pack. . .yay, bowling is fun! don't be surprised to find me at bowl-mor during "happy hours" styling in my bowling shoes and perfecting my game!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

whoah, cool format

LANYTransplant said...

Given my past bowling experience, you won't be seeing me there with you! Love the new design.

v said...

really? but we can drink & bowl! the boy was saying we should double date there. .

LANYTransplant said...

Haha. You'll want me as sober as possible when I have a heavy bowling ball in my hand.

Anonymous said...

I'm always kind of grumpy when I have to go bowling with friends. I feel like the balls are too heavy for me (have you noticed how the guys always have better scores? Unfair!). Congrats on having a good time, and even winning a little! One thing, though. My friend went to bowl more once, and a week later, her feet got kind of itchy. She ended up with a staph infection, and had to have a doctor drain her foot (eew).