Monday, January 22, 2007

warning label please!

now that i've moved out of willie-b and left my beloved maxim gym, it's time to find a new gym. (remember new years resolution to say "bye bye" to poochie?) for the past two weeks, iwas doing a whirlwind tour of the different New York Sports Club gyms. 76th & york, 96th, soho, long island. . . my favorite is soho. . .only one floor and every weight machine that i want. long hours. overall, i like NYSC but feel that it's a bit too impersonal and corporate. . .the only complaint is that a lot of the trainers aren't in such great shape (some are even, dare i say, overweight?) and i wonder how good they can be if they can't practice what they preach.

i'm now sampling the new york health & raquet club gyms in the city since i got a free one-week pass. have only made it to the 77th st and astor place location. . overall i feel that it's a bit too chi-chi for me, i mean, the 77th st location plays classical music in the locker room. although it's older, i actually prefer the UES location. they have most of the weight machines i'm accustomed to using.

had a very "V" moment tho. was using the leg press which happens to be my favorite weight machine at the moment. doing warm ups and realize that the lock/release lever was a lot more complicated than the simple turn of the handle. to release, you have to pull up and to lock you have to push the level to the left and down. now, try that while trying to support 225 lbs with quickly fatiguing legs. luckily, the cute trainer jumped in to help me a few times. but it was still embarassing to not be able to lock the machine myself. . .totally made me lose my rhythm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boy, am I blue collar... I wear baggy track pants and jog around the neighborhood at 4:30 in the morning, wearing sneakers the soles of which look like baloney slices. I do push ups with my face in the concrete and I do sit ups holding my jogging partner - a 45-pound standard poodle.

You're so cosmo, Virginia. You're so NYC. Hell you ARE NYC. Alright, I'm done busting your balls. I quit the YWCA in my neighborhood cuz the guys using the sauna did so all balls out and I was grossed out.

Stephenheimer

Anonymous said...

Except I didn't go running THIS morning. What are you nuts? You been out there today? Screw that...

Whatshisface