Tuesday, March 25, 2008

best friends at work

according to gallop surveys, having a best friend at work contributes to one's overall job satisfaction. i was fortunate at my last job, to develop two such friendships- first with lori and then with ms mess. both are older, strong-willed, and independent women with children and diverse work histories. perhaps it is their wealth of wisdom and life experience that has naturally led each of them to adopt a maternal or sororal roles with me. as i settle into my new work environment with a younger peer group, i find myself feeling a little out of place, slightly anxious, and longing for the company of lori and ms mess.

i was therefore ecstatic when ms mess agreed to drive out to manhattan to dine with me easter night. over a glass of red wine, crusty italian bread, and an enormous meatball called meatloaf, we caught up on work gossip, relationships, and various life changes. as she does very well, ms mess beautifully put my insecurities and concerns in perspective. she reminded me of my own rule- that i aim to live by but had started to falter on- that is, the importance of being true to oneself and to live life on one's own terms and timeline. it was during that moment, that i felt especially fortunate to have friends that can dish it out, tell me when i'm being ridiculous, and laugh at my idiosyncrasies.


btw, the food was what comfort food should be- simple, tasty, and substantial- though, it's a toss up whehter frank really beats max's.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: