Friday, March 14, 2008

family rituals

my parents are extremely devoted to their children. they would travel almost any length of time and distance to see them- whether it's my sister in gainesville, my brother in philly, or myself in ny. since my mom refuses to fly- travel is limited to driving, taking a bus, or train. the preferred method is driving.

however, this comes with my dad inevitably getting lost and me glued to googlemap trying to help him navigate the streets.

tonight, i finally figured out what the confusion is. my dad drives in from the west side of manhattan. he hits 12th avenue and sees the water and mistakes it for the east river which i do live close to. however, he knows he's supposed to be in the higher digits and ends up circling the confusing area which is the west village lost amidst "name" streets rather than "number" streets.

right now, they are just a few blocks away. hopefully they get here soon without further mishap. this week has been exhausting and i need a good night's rest or lots of coffee to get me through a full day of activity tomorrow.

1 comment:

LANYTransplant said...

This scene doesn't sound too different from when you and I try to meet up somewhere.