Thursday, February 02, 2006

character building

ended up going to the wholesaler with my boss today. car rides with him kind of remind me of childhood car rides with my mom where she would use the time -where we had nothing to do but listen to her talk- to lecture us and teach us life lessons.

today's lesson from K was that young women need to build character and find ways to offer something besides their youth and attractiveness. for this reason, he had been encouraging D to do volunteer work in some remote area in asia. we talked about how easy it is for women to get sidetracked from their own personal growth, career path, etc by relationships.

i don't really know if i agree entirely with K. . but there is some truth somewhere in it. i think it is common for young women to romantacize marriage and hope that it will fulfill them in some way. i think that's why couples that marry too young generally have unsuccessful marriages. these individuals have not focused on making themselves a better person and finding what makes them happy. i guess K's point was that we should all try to become a "worthy" mate that can contribute something meaningful to a relationship.

anyways, somehow all this talk reminded me of my dreams of going to vietnam- teaching english or doing some work and living there for a year. . . i've been pushing it away in my mind- but the idea keeps on resurfacing. . . and i never want to look back at my life and regret not having done something. . .so we'll see- keep your fingers crossed for me- and we'll see if i can make it happen.

No comments: