Thursday, July 14, 2005

hot HOT pot

The weather has been amazingly cool this week and last night there was a big rainstorm. It made for a good night to eat spicy Sichuan food.

For those who know me well, you know I cannot resist good food and love spicy food- I have been known to douse my Vietnamese hu tieu with WAY too much chili paste irregardless of the effect it has on my digestive system.

So last night a group of 10 of us went to get hot pot. We actually ordered half spicy half non-spicy. Basically what happens is you order a ton of uncooked meat, raw veggies, and tofu. Then the large metal bowl is placed in the middle of the table and heated by flames underneath. Once the broth/oil is boiling, you put in whatever food you want to eat. Then, when it has boiled to your taste, you can dip it in a sesame paste.



What I love about this style of eating (which is actually pretty popular with Vietnamese cuisine), is that it makes dining a very communal activity and allows one to savour the food. Of course, I ate primarily the hot side because it was 100X more flavorful. And although my tummy was not happy afterwards, it was well worth the good meal, great company, and enjoyable evening.

No comments: