Friday, July 22, 2005

It's a Small World After All

The (ex) fiancée arrived in Beijing last night. Today we walked around Tiananmen Square. We attempted to visit Mao’s Mausoleum which is in the Square. His body has been carefully preserved and maintained for the past 30 odd years. The line was probably a mile long. Unfortunately, we were turned away because I had a purse and it was too much of a pain to find a place to check it. So we decided to go back on Sunday.




Next we went to Wangfujing to hide out from the rainstorms. While we were walking around trying to find coffee and juice, I heard someone call out my name. It was a Japanese girl I had known from studying at Beijing Normal University 6 years ago!! Imagine that! Turns out she is working in Beijing for some Japanese university. I gave her my cell phone number and we said goodbye.

It really is amazing that given how big the world is, how highly populated China and Beijing are, that you could run into a familiar face!

No comments: