Friday, July 01, 2005

Internet Access

Within the first week at my host institution, I was able to get an account so that I could use the internet at work. Luckily, it didn’t seem that difficult to set everything up and use the internet. This was a relief as other group members have had varying levels of difficulty getting access at all or to various sites. All of this of course, seems to be due to government efforts to monitor and restrict internet usage and access in universities.

For the most part, the first few days at work, I had few problems besides a slow connection and the inability to use MSN Messenger or AOL Instant Messenger. However, starting today, I could no longer access UCLA’s webmail or website.

Later it was explained to me that I had been assigned a domestic internet account (i.e. I can only access domestic websites) rather than an international internet account. Outwardly, I accepted this argument however inwardly I didn’t see how that could be since just one day previously I had had no problems looking at international sites. . .

It is a disconcerting feeling that one (at least as a foreigner) gets while living in China, of being watched. Wherever you stay, you have to register with the hotel, dorm, etc so the government knows where you are (so make sure you always have your passport when you are traveling around China!). In my experiences living in foreign dormitories and now an extended stay at a hotel, I know the fuwuyuan (service/cleaning women) know my face if not my name. It makes one learn to true appreciate the freedom one has in the States.

No comments: