Wednesday, July 13, 2005

unsuccessful attempt at ordering lunch

Went to “Sculpture in Time”, an internet café nearby my hotel to do work this morning. Around 1pm, I could no longer fight the hunger pangs and decided to walk over to a nearby Old Shanghai dim sum type eatery. The restaurant is a good local standby, cheap (with free soymilk), fast service, and open 24 hours.

I ordered Xiao Long Bao (steamed pork dumplings that are filled with soup) and asked the waitress if they have any vegetable dumplings. (“You meiyou shu cai de baozi me?”)

The waitress said something something baozi (translation: buns with various fillings), which I interpreted was a name for the vegetable baozi. So I ordered those too.

What arrived was the Xiao Long Bao and these barbeque pork baozi. . .hmm. . I really need to work on my food characters some more. . but it was a pleasant surprise, the bread was slightly sweet (which I think is more typical of Cantonese food) and they were better than the vegetable baozi I had had there previously. I guess if at first you don’t succeed, try try again.

No comments: