Saturday, July 16, 2005

Taxi Cab Conversations

It seems like a number of my blog posts have been inspired by conversations I have with cab drivers and yesterday was no exception.

Last night, five of us went to eat Brazilian food and chill at a jazz bar. The two boys took the first taxi and the three girls took the second taxi which was told to follow the first taxi. . .we’ve been using this method a lot with group outings. . there’s been too many incidents and wasted time spent trying to find everyone. We wanted to squeeze into one cab, but the cab drivers always refuse claiming that the police will fine them 3,000 RMB.

Since I had the address written down, I decided to take the passenger’s seat next to the cab driver. And so the conversation went a little something like this:

Cab Driver Where are you from?

Me: America

CD: No no, where are your parents from?

M: Vietnam

CD: Vietnamese and Chinese people are pretty much the same. . . that’s great. Your Chinese sounds good.

M: Umm. No, it’s really not that good.

CD: You are pretty.

M: (silence)

CD: Is one of those boys in the cab in front of us your boyfriend?

M: (stammering for a bit, before realizing that the lie would make the Cab driver leave me a lone) Sure

CD: He’s a pretty good looking boy. Is he buying dinner for you

M: No. American custom is for everyone to pay for himself.

CD: But if he likes you, he will pay for you.

M: (silence) CD: So where did you grow up? Vietnam? M: No. I was raised in America.

CD: So you were born and grew up in America. Wow, your parents must have a lot of money.

M: No, not really. They left Vietnam during the war and fled to America.

CD: War is terrible. It is pointless. Both sides fighting with the only result is death. (more ranting about how war is bad but I couldn’t catch everything)

M: That is true. CD: So, do all Vietnamese women look like you?

M: I guess pretty much. . Although most Vietnamese women are thinner than I am.

CD: In that case, once I save up some money, I’m going to Vietnam to check out the girls. Well, my Chinese Born American buddies told me I should be flattered. . that it is the Chinese way to speak so frankly. . .nonetheless, it made for an interesting ride, that’s for sure.

No comments: