Monday, December 04, 2006

empty fridge

during my preparations to move, i packed up almost everything in my kitchen and cleared out my cupboards and fridge. so for the past few days i have been eating out/ordering take out. while the food is tasty, it's rough on the wallet and waistline. . so this morning after i hit the gym, i decided to stop by the grocery store to pick up enough food to get me through a week.

turkey bacon
eggs
cereal & milk
sandwich meat
frozen veggies
etc

the cashier rings me up. i hand over my credit card. the cashier tries to swipe the card and finds that their system is down. she calls the manager. they both fiddle around with it. it's goin to take some time before they figure out what's wrong and get the problem rectified. . . wanting to get goin with my day, i decide to leave without my groceries. a couple minutes into my cold walk back home, the bagger runs out calling my name.

b: it's okay!!! the machine is working.

v: GREAT!

we start walking. as soon as we get back to the store, the cashier waves her hand motioning, no no. the machine is still down.

hopes dashed, having wasted half an hour, i go home starving. . good thing i have some muscle milk powder and almonds to tide me over, otherwise i'd be really grouchy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, living like a true ahr-teest! I remember those days... I had a bag of carrots in the fridge - that was it. Rock 'n roll wasn't paying well. However I always managed to secure enough funds to self-medicate. You gotta have priorities... Now I'm a size 36, my knees won't let me jog anymore, Baby Girl #3 is on the way, the closest thing I got to a rockin' gig is my bi-weekly lone-guitarist-on-a-barstool schtick, and the smell from the twist-off cap on a bottle of Coke gets my head spinning. I'm such a rocker...

You're not gonna stop writing now that you're moving right?

Rockenheimer

v said...

wondering where you've been rockenheimer. . .nope, definately going to keep up the writing. will be interesting living out of my car & depending on the kindness of friends. i'm sure good posts will come out of it:)

CONGRATS on baby girl #3.