Wednesday, August 15, 2007

some things never change

enjoying a nice dinner with my folks at a local steakhouse in port warwick. we catch up on family gossip, work, news about my friends, and my immediate plans when my mom can no longer hold her thoughts back.

momma V: you know what would really make me happy?

V: (rolling my eyes, bracing myself for the onslaught, and silently to myself) um, nothing???

momma V: for you to have someone that loves you and takes care of you. your sister and your brother are settled. i won't be happy until you have someone.

V: i think my main priority right now is to get my career settled.

poppa V: you really are my daughter (with a hint of pride)

momma V: it would just make me so happy if you told me you had a boyfriend. i'm just waiting for that day.

V: mom, that's my last worry. besides, by american standards, especially in a big city, i'm not considered old yet!

poppa V: yea, you don't have to worry yet. maybe once you hit 40.

momma V: no, she needs to have kids before then.

V: well, it would be safer to have kids by 35. . . BUT, if i don't meet the right guy by then, i can always adopt.

momma V: young kids these days put their careers first.

V: mom, i am just asking you one thing. i understand where you are coming from and your concerns. but please don't ever mention this to me again. you can complain and express your thoughts about me not getting or being married to dad or my brother or sister but don't tell me. it'll either make me sad or piss me off.

momma V: chuckling. ok ok.

for now that is. . . just temporary respite.



1 comment:

LANYTransplant said...

Your parents are hilarious.