Friday, October 07, 2005

Crappy Cable Companies

Not having regular internet access has been a huge pain. Every morning I turn on my laptop hoping *please please please* that I can tap into someone’s wireless. Most mornings that wish is unfulfilled. When I get desperate enough, I make my way to the roomie’s lab to use the internet.

Two days ago I did some research to see what internet providers there are in Bklyn and what packages were offered. It seems that Time Warner Cable has a monopoly out here. So I called to find out more details. Of course they have one of those annoying automated systems.

The Machine: Say “1” if you speak English. Say “2” if you speak Spanish.

Me: One

The Machine: Do you have existing service or are you a new customer.

Me: New customer

The Machine: Say “cable” if you are interested in cable. Say “internet” if you are interested in internet. Say “digital phone” if you are interested in digital phone.

Me: Internet

The Machine: Please wait for a service representative to answer your call.

In the background is some recording extolling the great customer service that Time Warner Cable has.

So after a minute or two of waiting, a woman gets on the phone. She asks me what I’m interested in (wasn’t that the purpose of the automated system) and where I live. Then she proceeds to give me a range of options. It seems that I can get basic cable and internet on top of that for $29.99/month for the first six months. That sounds good but I have to double check with the roomie to make sure that’s okay.

After okaying things with him, I call Time Warner back and have to go through the same annoying routine. Finally a get a new sales rep on the phone. She again asks me what I’m interested in. I tell her I’m interested in internet and ask her what packages there are. She lists a variety of very expensive plans (lowest being $90+). I say that their website and a previous representative told me that I can get basic internet and internet for $29.99/month. She states that that is for returning customers only.

I am obviously confused by the conflicting information and ask her if that is the best she can do in terms of plans. Then she cops an attitude and tells me that she has already told me what plans they offer and how could I ask for more. So I said thank you and hung up.

Fed up with dealing with Time Warner sales reps, I asked my roomie to take care of it. He got a completely different story yesterday when he called. Apparently, we could get cable internet without getting ANY internet. So he placed an order and hopefully a week from now, I’ll be set with internet.

No comments: