Friday, November 04, 2005

First Day of Temping

So it’s only 11 pm and I’m exhausted! I had my first ever temp job today, essentially what amounted to a data entry/internet research job. Mindless typing for 8 hours straight!!! But hey, money is money, right?

After work, btw, it did feel good to be working again, I met up with VK in Brooklyn for dinner. . went to Tacu Tacu which I expected to be a Mexican or Latin American restaurant but winded up being some sort of strange Latin American/Asian fusion. . the dishes were hit or miss. VK’s Saigon Salmon was pretty tasty but my red snapper was not so great. Kind of disappointing. But I guess the only way to discover good restaurants is through trial and error.

Tomorrow will be temping again at the same place. Hopefully I canl finish the job that I started on today. It isn’t too bad really, easy mindless work, I just let my mind coast while I was typing away. . . But it would be really sad to have a job like that for life. . ugh. . but it’s a means to an end.

A reader asked what I’m doing with my life. . afterall, I was on the path to a phD in Economics and now I’m talking about floral design jobs and temping!! Well, I decided that at the end of the day and personally speaking, it’s important for me to find a career that I look forward to every day and that I’m passionate about. . and honestly, I just couldn’t see that happening with my previous career path. Now, I’m just trying to find and pursue my passion. And while it’s not always glamorous or fun and sometimes it’s damn scary, I’m so much happier now that I have been in the past three years.

I’ve gotten a lot of comments about how brave (or crazy) my life changes have been, but really I’ve just been following my heart and instincts. Simply I wasn’t happen with where my life was going and I realized that all I had to do to change it was to just go for it.

No comments: